[Healeys] ignition miss

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Aug 24 08:28:01 MDT 2008

The fact a "high performance" coil--hence higher secondary voltage--made the problem worse indicates there is a leakage of secondary voltage somewhere (higher secondary voltage may cause breakdowns in the secondary ignition system--why "HP" coils aren't necessarily a good thing).   Also, changing the distributor didn't help much, indicating the problem is elsewhere.

With the HP coil in, run up the car in a dark (ventilated) garage, watching the ignition system closely.  Look for arcing on all the components.   Just 'cause cables "look good" doesn't mean they are.  Check plug leads with a DVM (digital voltmeter) and inspect closely.  Could be a bad terminal on one lead.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell at comcast.net

From: "Brits'n'Pieces (Eric Frenken)" <lists at brits-n-pieces.com>