[Healeys] (no subject)alternator

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:22:57 MDT 2008

>>I can disconnect my battery and my car will run.  Which is a poor man's
field test for determining if the alternator is charging.  So yes the
alternator does supply the system.

Write this down.  DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY ON ANY MODERN ALTERNATOR
EQUIPPED CAR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. EVER.
The battery act like a shock absorber in the electrical system.  If you pull
a battery cable the voltage can spike upward to 80 or 90 volts.  This spike
might just kill one or more of the electronic control units.
Pulling a battery cable can be a very easy way to find out just how
expensive all those electronic control units are.