[Healeys] disc brake caliper securing bolts

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 18:55:47 MDT 2008

If it were me, I would not use red loctite on any threaded fastener that I
ever wanted to disassemble.  Ever.  When properly applied Loctite 271 (red)
is stronger than a grade 8 bolt.  In other words if you try to unscrew a
joint with properly applied and cured 271 you will leave the bolt threads in
hole, or break the bolt atempting to unscrew it.  While you are correct that
when heated to near 500F Loctie will turn to powder, I have to ask, do you
really want to get that kind of heat near your brake calipers?  It seems to
me that if you leave the torch in place a bit too long and this could be a
very bad idea.
Blue Loctite when properly applied is plenty strong enough.
Proper application means both the bolt and the hole are clean enough to eat
off of, and dry.  If you can find a bottle of Loctite Kleen and Prime spray
the bolt with it.  Apply the blue Loctite torque to spec and allow it to
cure.

Also if it were my car, I would order 4 new bolts.
$.02
Rick

I've ordered 1 new bolt and I'm thinking