[Healeys] disc brake caliper securing bolts

Richard Bittmann edmyed at harbornet.com
Sun Aug 10 16:57:24 MDT 2008

Hello listers,

I need help judging how to proceed with securing my calipers.  My BJ7 has
about 3700 miles on the odometer since restoration.  I kept hearing clunks
coming from the front brakes when they were applied hard.  This condition
existed for a thousand miles or so before I took action.  Upon removing the
front wheels, I discovered there was play in the calipers when rocked forward
and back paralel to the discs.  I removed the brakelines and calipers and
discovered that the left front bottoom caliper securing bolt threads were
damaged (threads rounded over).  This bolt was also missing the heavy lock
washers which were present on the other 3 bolts.  The other 3 bolts look good
but exhibited some back & forth moveability when partially withdrawn.
Obviousely some wear there too.  I've ordered 1 new bolt and I'm thinking
about reinstalling the calipers using Locktite Red to insure a tight fit when
finished.  Locktite Red is a "permanent" threadlocker which can be removed
when heated to  500 deg.  I look at this as a temporary fix to get me through
the Summer season.  If it holds, then I'll wait until winter to look at the
situation again and pull the front suspension apart to make proper repairs.

Does this sound reasonable?  Am I risking our lives by driving the car in this
condition?  What is recommended as a permanent fix.  Can the swivel axle back
plate threads be repaired?  They appear to be cast steel.  Should all 4 bolts
be replaced?

Thanks for your replies in advance.  Richard Bittmann BJ7 Tacoma