[Healeys] Headlight wiring

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 16:15:10 MDT 2008

Michael,

Make sure that you have the blue with red stripe and the blue with white
stripe wires connected to your headlamp harnesses properly.  These wires come
from the dip switch.  There is a blue wire from the dash light switch to the
dip switch.  If you are getting any light to your headlights then this blue
wire is attached.  The blue with white stripe wire is the high beam wire, blue
with red stripe the low beam.  To check the headlight just switch the wires
around on the connector at the headlamp harness so the other beam will be
powered.  If you then get light when you hit the dip switch once but not twice
then your dip switch is bad and your headlight is good. If you don't get light
at all when you hit the dip switch after you change the wiring around then
your headlight is bad.  I'm thinking that your dip switch is bad since neither
light comes on when you hit the dip switch.  That is, as long as both
headlights are wired the same way.  If one light is wired correctly and the
other incorrectly then it is possible that you have one high beam out and the
other low beam out and when you hit the dip switch then no light works.  Check
your wires well and check each bullet connector for good contact.  Also make
sure you have the black (ground) wire well connected.

I think this will help.  Others please chime in if I am sending him down a
slippery slope--we don't want to let the smoke out.

George Haywood
'65 bj8-early (finally broken in after a coast to coast drive to Conclave 08)