[Healeys] Distributor Rotors and No Start

Richard Kahn tahoehealey at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:44:14 MDT 2008

This is a subject I just went through. I have a very old rotor that works
fine. I replaced it to be "safe" and kept it as a spare. I have now gone
through 3 "new and improved" (one only lasted 3 feet down my driveway). I'm
using the old one again but want it as a good spare. I just got one today from
British Car Specilaists and I have my fingers crossed. Michael, there, says
Dave has been using one for a long time so I am sure it will be good but I
have no idea who makes it or what country it comes from.
Another Richard> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:31:14 -0400> From:
sbyers at ec.rr.com> To: healeys at autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Healeys]
Distributor Rotors and No Start> > Hello, Jorge -> Part of the problem might
be the quality of the rotors available now, but part of the problem could also
be side play in the distributor shaft due to worn bushings. I imagine that
there are a lot of 40+ year old distributors out there that problem.> > Back
about 1990, my BJ8 started cracking and breaking rotors on a regular basis
over a period of a several months. I occasionally found some brass powder
under the distributor cap. After I finally figured out that the dizzy shaft
had significant play when wiggled side to side, I concluded that the rotors
were contacting the terminals inside the cap and that was what was cracking or
breaking them. I opted to change my distributor for a Mallory dual-point and
have never had a rotor problem since. My decision was prompted by realizing
that it would be several more years before the internet took hold and the
Healey list expertise was available, and at that time I had no clue who could
rebuild a Lucas distributor. The Mallory was about half the cost of a new
Lucas dizzy from Moss.> > Make sure your dizzy shaft is in good shape.> >
Steve Byers> HBJ8L/36666> BJ8 Registry> Havelock, NC> > > ---- Jorge Garcia
<fortee9er at yahoo.com> wrote: > > A couple of days ago I finally found the
cause of the> > no start condition on my BJ8 - that damm rotor. This> > is the
second rotor failure I have experienced with my> > Healey. The stop that locks
the rotor to the> > distributor shaft looked like it had been chewed off> >
from the rest of the rotor. BTW this last rotor was> > stamped "Made in West
Germany". I ordered a "premium> > replacement from Moss that should be here in
time to> > allow me to take my Healey out this weekend for the> > first time
this year.> > Is the quality of the rotors made for our cars of such> > poor
quality that I should keep a spare just in case> > or is there something wrong
with my distributor?> > Jorge> > 1965 BJ8>