[Healeys] VIN Numbers

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 09:58:26 MDT 2008

In a message dated 4/14/08 7:51:17 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Hello all,
>
> This rings a bell however that I believe the BMIHT data may record gearbox
> and rear axle numbers though they don't bother to record them on a Heritage
> Cerificate. If that is all that one has left to work with, they may be able
> to do a search by these numbers to get the chassis numbers, etc, that you
> need.
>
> Rich Chrysler

Rich is correct that these numbers were included in the original records now
held by BMIHT, and the VIN number, build date and other details can be found
by doing a careful search of the records. HOWEVER, with BMIHT changing hands
and stewards several times in the past ten years, each change has brought more
pressure to be financially viable, so my understanding is that such searchs now
are undertaken only on special request and the time is billed to the
requester. It may still be possible to search the records yourself if you go there
(even that has become harder and harder to get approval to do), but that would
mean a trip to England and a day or two in their archives.
On the other hand, to my knowledge most state DMVs have a process by which a
junked car can be registered which has no VIN numbers (junk yard restorations,
etc.). That typically takes a couple of visits to the DMV and some paperwork,
as well as usually an inspection of the car by a DMV-accepted representative
at the beginning and end of the process, with the process varying state by
state.
However, if the car is worth restoring, this may be the easiest way to get it
from non-existent to legally registered.
Cheers
Gary