[Healeys] Costs of restoration

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Apr 16 09:51:04 MDT 2008

In a message dated 4/14/08 7:51:17 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> So, what I did was take some of that gut knowledge I have, put some
> maths around it and then threw the costs for my last few restorations
> at the model. It came out to be approximately +/-20% accurate, which
> was the basic target I set for myself on the model. I figured I could
> take that model and turn it into a widget out on my website to point
> people to when they want to get a rough idea of how much things tend
> to cost.
>
> Cheers!
> Jody

Ah, someone who can understand the difference between approximate figures
that are accurate enough to answer the relevant question "Should I even consider
buying or restoring this car?", as opposed to the absolutely accurate
calculations supporting a contractual obligation, based upon a tear-down inventory
which every owner should required be provided by the restoration shop after the
first month or so that the restoration shop has the car.
Of course, in the middle between those two answers, there should also be a
step where the shop which may consider doing the job spends three or four
billable hours going over the car and talking to the owner to provide a reasonable
written estimate and schedule, both of which should be accurate within, say
20%, subject to specified limitations and written contract modifications during
the course of the work.
In my opinion, FWIW, a decent restoration shop (for it's own long-term
financial success as well as for the benefit of its customers) should be prepared to
provide all three answers at the appropriate point in the process. If you
were having a significant remodeling job done on your kitchen, you'd expect as
much from the contractor, and you have every right to expect it from your
restoration shop.
Cheers
Gary