[Healeys] Number plate

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Apr 15 14:42:12 MDT 2008

There is a 4-digit number on the shoulder of the right front shock tower
that is visible from standing beside the car looking down on the shock tower
in the engine bay.  This is the Jensen number referred to below and so far
as I have been able to determine does not relate to any other identifiable
number on the car, nor is it ever on the BMIHT certificate.  For BJ8s, at
least, the VIN was supposed to be stamped into the outboard vertical (1/2"
high) surface of the shock tower, just below the horizontal surface where
the shock sits.  This number is visible (sometimes) with the right front
wheel removed and looking inboard toward the shock.
In as many cases as not, if a number is here is it almost-to-completely
invisible due to being stamped so lightly and then filled with paint.  Or,
the number is so imperfectly stamped to be almost illegible.  On my BJ8
(36666), the digits only show the bottom half so that it looks like a string
of zeros.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry