[Healeys] Starter motor & Pertronix

Mr. Bill BN1 at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 7 13:11:13 MDT 2008

Mine was installed by Eric Grunden of Absolutely British so I don't know
where it came from.  I'm pretty sure it was a direct bolt on with no
modifications needed.  However, 4-bangers could be different or I might
be wrong.  Mine has been in the car since 2001 and I love it.

As Randy said, it spins very quickly, which, I would think, saves the
battery.  I was working on an ignition problem and finally got Red Car
started without having to stick a battery charger on it.  Eric wired it
through the original starter solenoid so the button on its back can
still be used to spin the motor while working under the bonnet.
Definitely a plus.

And speaking of which, I got tired of messing with the points and ended
up installing a Pertronix like many others on this List have already
done.  That's another item I don't know why it took me so long getting
around to doing!  Although, I do keep an advance plate with points in
boot as a spare.  If you are considering it, here's the cheapest place I
found and has free shipping:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/austin_healey.htm  NFI =
No Financial Interest with either source.  I'm also very happy with this
electronic ignition.

Next up, the alternator that masquerades as a dynamo.

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1 #663 (Getting to be a really cool Driver!)