[Healeys] BJ8 overdrive adjusting screw

Dave Russell rusd at sitestar.net
Mon Apr 7 11:24:01 MDT 2008

Hi Ken,

There are two internal windings in the solenoid. A high current pull in
coil, about 15 amps, AND a low powered holding coil, about 2 amps. The
circuit to the pull in coil is broken by a contact on top of the
solenoid which opens at the very end of the operate stroke. If the
solenoid ever fails to fully pull in, the solenoid pull in coil will not
disconnect & will burn out in short order.

Many solenoids work fine without the lower stop. A few don't have the
needed power/travel to work from the fully extended, no stop position. I
think the lower stop is just insurance against this disaster.

The rubber looks much like what is used on post type door stop bumpers
in your house. Cup with a flange inside the open end.

Dave Russell