[Healeys] WG: SMOG TESTS SB 1549 Senate Bill

Jody Kerr jodyfkerr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 08:26:41 MST 2008

I'll caveat my overall rsponse to state that I agree that less
pollution is good.

But having said that....

90% of this "the world is going to end" stuff is complete malarky. The
earth is a huge equilibrium system. We, as humans, are thinking that
we are much bigger and more important than we actually are if we
believe we can radically change this system without the system
bouncing back. I used to work in the field of geology, and spent far
too much time dealing with ice. We are just now getting to the point
where we are smart enough to understand some of this stuff, and it
works on a scale much greater than the average person can readily
comprehend. This is thousands to millions of years type time scales.

Current research indicates that major warming trends occur before ice
ages and cooling trends. Ice core analysis also shows that major
periods of high CO2 concentrations have occured at multiple times in
the earth's past. Pollution output from major volcanic events is far
greater than what we produce (think MT St Helens, Pinatubo, etc). Now,
when we talk about huge systems like these, the output of CO2 from a
few thousand lightly driven collector cars is a grain of sand on a
much larger beach.

If you really want to drop our CO2 emissions we can throw all the
politicians, lawyers, and nutjob environmentalists into the sea and
just be done with it.

Though, the bit that *really* bothers me is that I as a collector car
person am constantly attacked for being a bad person when every one of
my cars is 100% post consumer recycled waste. (Also, next time you're
dealing with a Hybrid twit ask them what's involved with the
manufacture and destuction of their precious batteries.) Also, who
cares about the output of my Healey when I'm sitting next to a Semi in
traffic and it belches out this huge black cloud.

And don't get me started on this fueld efficiency garbage. Take
everyone's massive Tahoes, Expeditions and such and give them all Fiat
Topolinos. Heck, my 1953 Studebaker Champion gets 35 miles to the
gallon.

--
http://www.theymightberacing.com/
1953 Studebaker Champion