[Healeys] Rubber Strap in today's terms

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 11:17:35 MST 2008

In a message dated 4/4/08 10:48:36 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Charlie,
> The rubber strap holds the capillary tube to the heater hose. The tube is
> wound 3 times in about a 2 inch diameter coil and is gathered and attached to
> the hose. I don't know about 2 holes. Perhaps it is to allow a few size
> adjustments to the strap similar to a belt

Thinking more about this situation, as a reviewer of contemporary
automobiles, it occurs to me that if such a strap were needed today:
The Americans wouldn't put one on, then would send out a dealer service
bulletin that on the first regular service the mechanic should fasten the two parts
together with a zip-tie.
The Germans would assign an industrial designer to engineer a fastener to be
made in stainless steel, train their assemblers to install it, then add its
presence to the quality control check list at the end of that assembly station.
The Koreans would copy the German part and make it for one-tenth the cost.
On the first redesign cycle, the Japanese would redesign the major parts
involved so that no attachment strap would be required.
Just one person's take on the state of the industry.
Cheers
Gary