[Healeys] That funny rubber strap

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 11:06:11 MST 2008

In a message dated 4/4/08 10:48:36 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net writes:

> Charlie,
> The rubber strap holds the capillary tube to the heater hose. The tube is
> wound 3 times in about a 2 inch diameter coil and is gathered and attached to
> the hose. I don't know about 2 holes. Perhaps it is to allow a few size
> adjustments to the strap similar to a belt....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Scot

I first saw that rubber strap when I was working in my father's bicycle shop
in Wisconsin in the 50s. It was a common piece on English bikes, used to
fasten the cable to the rear brake to the main tube in the frame, so it fastened
once around the main tube and once around the cable, using both holes. I think
of it as proof that the English designers, who would have been very familar
with this part, saw no reason in re-inventing the wheel, or the strap, when there
was one already available for 3 pence ha'penny.
Cheers
gary