[Healeys] HBN7L 605

John Snyder helyjohn at cablespeed.com
Sat Sep 29 21:22:30 MDT 2007

Hi Richard and List,

My BN7L-605 was built (per the BMIHT cert) April 6-7, 1959.  It was dispatched
to San Francisco, and sold to Allen Grant in Modesto, CA.  Allen auto-crossed
it until late '60 or early '61 when he sold it to Bob Darby.  Allen went on to
drive for Shelby in Cobras, and raced at Le Mans.  Bob raced it w/ moderate
success at Cotati, Reno, Vaca Valley, Candlestick Park, Port of Stockton until
about 1970.  Bob had the engine built by Hollywood Sports Car, w/ 3 HD6 carbs,
close ratio 4 speed, no O'd, 11.5:1 comp ratio, ect.  I talked to Bob and he
gave me a lot of data on the car.  Bob sold the car to Jerry Spain who
complained because it would not run on premium gasoline.  Somehow Allen got
the car back and put it in dry storage around 1973.  Mike Garrison in Modesto,
found the car in one of Allen's warehouses and bought the car, intending to
restore it, lost interest, and sold it to me in 2006. The car has been in dry
storage since around 1973, apparently never left the central California
valley.  NO rust, only 2 small dents, perfect panel fit.  A perfect car to
restore.  Allen Grant has been to my shop to see the car.  I'm taking it back
to factory specs.  It has some 100-6 features like the choke knob under the
dash, pointed rear reflectors, no 3000 ID badges.

The restoration is going slowly because I ripped up my shoulder, but it is now
a plumbed, wired, rolling chassis.  Engine pieces go to the machine shop early
October, and I will build the engine by mid Oct if all goes well.

John Snyder
Port Townsend, WA

  Hi John and Listers:  I could not help see that you have HBN7L 605. I have
HBN7L 466. I wanted to take this opportunity to remind the Listers that these
(our) cars were made in 1959 (the 3000s started with serial number 101). I
cannot tell you over the years how many people have suggested my car is a
100-6. I have vintage raced it for almost 25 years. My number on the car is
466. I always list the car with a manufacturing date of 1959 and that is what
shows in the entry forms/program/time sheets, etc. I have the heritage
certificate somewhere but my recollection is that my car was built in July,
1959. When was your car built John?  Richard Mayor, Portland, Oregon