[Healeys] Overdrive problem

Grotenhuis 61bt7 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 15:15:53 MDT 2007

Steve,

I had the same problem and same symptoms.  I eliminated the electrical
causes and made the same checks of the operating valve orifices, and also
found them unplugged.  Rapping the OD housing from underneath at the seam
behind the drain plug usually released the brake ring, but the car wouldn't
roll backwards in neutral until it disengaged.  During the overhaul, I found
several weakened brake ring return springs that were 1-5 mm shorter than the
new ones I had ordered.  After replacing all of them, it disengaged
perfectly.

Neal
"61 BT7