[Healeys] gearbox woes

Healeyguy at aol.com Healeyguy at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 12:06:36 MDT 2007

John
"I removed the box today and to my horror found large pieces of brass in  the
overdrive strainer." Large pieces or chunks are relative to what you call
small.  Large pieces are probably not from the bauking (syncro)  rings.  However
destroyed thrust washers in the sun gear or behind the  unidirectional clutch
will leave brass actually bronze, slightly U shaped,  consistent thickness
bits in the strainer. This also leads to a complete OD  rebuild.  The operating
shaft in the OD has a "O" ring that should seal the  shaft to keep the oil out
of the solenoid housing. Loose long bolts in this area  can allow a slow leak
around the threads. The front seal tends to leak a bit if  the surface on the
first motion shaft is damaged or the main bearing or bushing  in the back of
the crank is bad. Also there are some seals sold that are not  quite the
correct inside diameter and doesn't "squeeze" the shaft  enough. Looks like a tear
down is in order.
Aloha
Perry