[Healeys] Regulator problem....Solved!

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Tue Sep 18 09:40:37 MDT 2007

Hello all,

In case any of you have been following this thread I started last week with a
BN2 with generator and regulator problems, I have found the problem and sorted
it out.
The black earth wire that comes out of the main bulkhead harness and goes to
the E terminal of the regulator was in fact not earthed at all. Yes, the twin
black wires with eyelet that fastens under the one regulator mounting screw
were in place, but the single wire coming back out of the harness to E was
not!  And this is on a relatively new harness. The owner had been complaining
about not being able to hold a charge in the batteries. No kidding!
In addition I found one battery terminal connecting the twin 6v batteries that
appeared clean and tight but was getting hot and causing intermittent complete
contact failure.
Therefore I supose that the regulator (not earthed) was also trying to send a
heavy charge to the batteries, compounding the problem.
Anyway, she's charging well, the charging indicator lamp goes out at anything
over about 800 RPM, and all seems well.
Another BN2 eager to hit the road!

I want to thank the many people who suggested things to look for, including
John Harper, Josef Eckert and David Koch. We really have a terrific resource
here with this list.

Thanks again

Rich Chrysler