[Healeys] coil spring specs

rjhco rjh at hockertlaw.us
Mon Sep 17 15:02:47 MDT 2007

Stephen:

Here are the specs that I measured on my original front coil springs when I
had them out of the car:

Category                            Thousands               Fractional

Wire Diameter:                      .6125                   39/64

Coil Inside Diameter:               3.625                   3 5/8

Coil Outside Diameter:              4.850                   4  27/32

Coil Mean Diameter:                 4.250                   4  <

Number of Coils                     8                       8

Number of active coils              6.5                     6.5

Finish Type:                        Flat Ground on both ends

Free Height:                        10.50                   10   =

Compressed Length:                  6.85                    6 27/32

Compressed Pressure:                1460 lbs/inch

Spring Rate:                        400 pounds per inch

Mechanical Advantage in car         2:1

Suspension Vertical Stiffness       200 pounds per inch

(Wheel Rate)

Suspension Natural Frequency        1.35 cycles per second for 2200 lb car

Best regards,

Jim Hockert

Dallas, TX

BJ8 Open Roads Rallye