[Healeys] Trafficator update

wericars at aol.com wericars at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 12:43:34 MDT 2007

For those with the problem I had with the trafficator assembly "following" the steering wheel to the left and right by about a half inch; after you have checked the tightness of the olive, try removing the entire traficator/stator tube assembly and check both the fit between stator tube and the tube extension on the trafficator (adjustable steering wheel cars) and the resistance needed to turn the base plate portion of the trafficator.? On my car, the grease that is supposed?to lubricate the base plate joint had dried up and required considerable torque to turn the the plate while holding the extension tube tight.? After removing the metal components from the bakelite I soaked the metal portion in a degreaser overnight and then cleaned the joint further with a spray can of carb cleaner.? This really freed up the assembly and when I reinstalled the assembly I had?reduced the "play" by about 50%.? I then removed the assembly again and used a vice to carefully squeeze the gap in the stator tube closed.? This gap had opened a bit with use.? I then reassembled these entire assembly and re-installed it (for like the 6th time) and the?trafficator is holding almost perfectly stationary in the center of the wheel.

Thanks to Rich Chrysler who told me to look at the stator tube.? Even though it looked perfect, on close examination it became apparent that there was some opening in the slot.

Bill
Boston area
65 BJ8