[Healeys] Windshield to cowl gasget - BJ8

HealeyBJ7 at aol.com HealeyBJ7 at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 06:59:37 MDT 2007

Once again, I need to ask the knowledgable group a reassembly question.
I have probably just ruined the second widshield to cowl gasget on a BJ8.
I've used two different sources and still cannot get the gasget in around the
bend in the frame. The windshield shop I took the first one to tried for three
hours and said they would cut the " T " shape from the bottom edge and glue
the  gasget in at the corners. This didn't seem right so I got a new gasget and
have  been trying to do it myself. The new gasget has a better profile and I
can work  it in on the straight section of the frame, but not around the
bends. I've even  taken the windshield frame back apart and am working with the
bottom frame  member by itself on the bench, but still no sucess.
Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to do this job??

PS  I see the tech article by Jean Caron in the August issue of the  Austin
Healey Magazine about installing a grill in a BJ8. He starts out by  saying, "
Other than installing the windshield bottom seal on a BJ7/BJ8, the
installation of the ...... is my least favorite job on an Austin Healey". Guess  what my
NEXT project will be?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,
Bob