[Healeys] USA time

Dan Stromquist dan at warner-associates.com
Wed Oct 31 09:41:29 MST 2007

List:
Chalk one up for the blonds!
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces+dan=warner-associates.com at autox.team.net
[mailto:healeys-bounces+dan=warner-associates.com at autox.team.net] On Behalf
Of Al Malin
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:09 AM
To: Healey Mail List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] USA time

Cycles per second (CPS) is important for clocks driven by electrical
motors and those motors were synchronous motors because their speed
was governed by CPS.  These motors operate in synchronization with
the frequency of the electrical power, hence the name "synchronous"
motor.

The power companies work hard to maintain a close frequency tolerance
that's why this type of motor was used extensively with old analog
clocks (and turntables).  The gearing for the hands was set for the
market the clock was sold in, that's why a clock bought in Britain
couldn't keep time in the U.S. and vice versa.

Al Malin
Tricarb

dan at warner-associates.com

Healeys at autox.team.net