[Healeys] USA time

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 07:31:43 MST 2007

Al

Those of us who lived in London during the war and relied on a
synchronous motor clock had to be careful that the time shown was
correct. Due to power shortages not only was the voltage reduced during
the day (I believe that the Americans call the Brown Out) but the
frequency was also reduced. What this meant that a clock might read
around 10 minutes slow by the end of an evening.  However somehow the
generating companies were able to increase the frequency during the
night so by first thing the next morning the clocks would read correct
again.

Regards

--
John Harper