[Healeys] door glass rubber glazing strips

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 26 18:24:17 MDT 2007

Steve:

What we do here is use ordinary engine oil - whatever is in the utility
squirt can.  It is easier to oil the Everseal strips on both sides and
install the glass channels while the rubber is still wet - less chance of
tearing the rubber (which might happen anyway!).  It helps to set the glass
assembly aside for a day or so to let the oil dry so the glass is firmly
stuck to the rubber before the window is put back into the door.

Everseal is still available by length from a roll in most auto glass shops -
it comes in several thicknesses - only one will be right for the Healey side
window glass, depending on whether the glass is original or repro (which can
be slightly thinner).  It's a fiddly, frustrating job at best - 2 people and
a rubber mallet.  Better have lots of Everseal at hand, as well as a few
extra nylon bearings, which are relatively fragile and often break on
installation.

Some people use glaziers urethane instead of Everseal.  The problem with
that is being able to dismantle everything next time the little white nylon
glass bearings break in service, which as we all know happens often.  With
the Everseal, a light heating of the glass channel with a propane torch will
usually release the glass without too much fuss so you can do the whole ugly
job all over again.  Stinks though!

As for the instuction translation, I guess we have to conclude that it's a
'sign of the times'.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb