[Healeys] Gear lever boot ring

Daniel and Diane White dwhite4949 at wowway.com
Sun Oct 21 06:28:08 MDT 2007

Thanks to all for the advice on this issue.  I'll compare the i.d. and
see if it's 11/16".  A light came on in my pea brain when Alan mentioned
that the nipple neck may be too thick to accommodate the ring.  Here I'm
trashing the people that make the ring and maybe I should be trashing
the people that make the boot?  Or both?   When I first tried to
install it I put the ring on the neck of the boot then lubed the gear
lever as well as the inside of the neck then started to push the whole
affair down the lever.  I got it 3/4 down and then it wouldn't move any
further down or up.  I had to destroy the ring to get the whole thing
off.  Fortunately I had the nipple side up or I might have had to
destroy the boot too.  When I mentioned putting a slit in "it", I meant
the backside of the ring.  I agree- to slit the boot neck would  invite
future tearing.  I'd like to turn back the clock and make a strong
argument in front of Donald and Geoff that the boot should be installed
nipple side up, then the three of us would go to the pub for a diet soda.
Cheers,
Dan White
1962 BN7 Mk II