[Healeys] Insurance on daily driver classic cars

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Mon Oct 15 23:35:53 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/15/07 7:34:15 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Check Hagerty Insurance.
> Alan Schultz
>
> Atkinson, Robert wrote:
> > I can't seem to find the right combination of insurance coverage: I
> > currently have "Classic Car" insurance which is very inexpensive but

Robert, shopping around is definitely a good thing to do, but since you do
want to use the car as your everyday car, I doubt if any of the classic car
insurance companies will give you the coverage you want. I know that most classic
car policies, including Hagerty, require that you have another car that will
be used for daily errands, commuting, etc. and will only insure your classic
car for hobby use. In addition, some have specific limitations on usage -- can't
be used to commute, for example, so don't expect to claim on it when it's
stolen from the company parking lot during business hours -- and/or on annual
mileage.
Instead, I think you may have to talk to one of the standard companies such
as AAA, Firemans, or State Farm, and ask the agent if they offer an "agreed
value" policy with standard road coverage on a classic car. I understand that
some of the general auto companies are now doing that. In almost all cases, they
will require pictures and a written appraisal to establish the car's value.
Failing that, you may be able to get a "stated value" policy for what you
consider a fair price for the car from a mainline company, but keep in mind that the
company is not obligated to pay that stated value on your claim unless you
can prove that it will cost you that much to fix or replace the car. Therefore,
if you do get a stated value policy be sure that you've provided the agent
with a written appraisal from an appraisal company that your insurance company
will accept, so that they've got proof on file of the value and condition of the
car before any claims are made.
It can be very difficult after that fact to establish value for a car after
it's been totalled, and impossible if it's been stolen.