[Healeys] Soft top question bj8

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 21:25:25 MDT 2007

Hi everyone,
Well now I feel safe in saying that our '65 bj8 has really been resurrected
this time.  I would like to thank all who directly helped me with questions
during the restoration as well as those indirectly involved through their
now shaking it down and working on the small details.  Boy these cars are a
kick to drive and real head turners.

I have a question now about the top.  We had an experienced upholstery shop
install a Robins Sunfast top.  It looks and fits very well, however there is a
space between the top seal and the center section of the windshield frame of
about 1/8" to 1/4" at the most.  The top sets down on the windshield posts OK
and is sealed going toward the center line of the windshield top frame for
about 1.5 ft. on each side, then it begins to separate from the windshield
along the centermost portion.  I placed a straight edge across the windshield
frame from post to post tonight and found it to be straight (flat).  Have any
of you had to deal with this before and how would you fix it?  Do you think I
could remove the vinyl from the header wood and plane down the part of the
wood resting on the windshield posts to close the gap in the middle?  Do you
think that the windshield upper frame member may be low in the center and that
maybe I need to remove the upper chrome frame piece and get an additional
packing piece of rubber placed in the channel between the gasket and the upper
frame member to raise it up to meet the header wood?  I hope that what I am
describing and asking is clear to you.  I know some of you must have run
across this.  I don't think the header is warped but it might be.  If I get
caught it rain I'll be in trouble with the water coming in there.

Thanks for any help,
George
'65 bj8