[Healeys] radiator hose leak while on a western adventure

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Sat Oct 13 22:12:08 MDT 2007

Ned,

First congratulations on your fortitude and welcome to the great southwest.
I use my 100 for travel quite a bit and so have had a few similar
experiences myself. I had to replace a head gasket in Killeen, Texas three
weeks ago. These cars can really test your resourcefulness.

You picked a good time of year to have this particular problem in this area.
The weather is fairly cool so you shouldn't have heating problems under
normal conditions. As long as the water temperature isn't exceeding the
boiling point of water (208-210 F at this altitude) you should be able to
drive with the pressure cap loose. As long as there is no pressure against
the system your pinhole leak shouldn't lose too much coolant. A good
rubberized tape may help control it too.

You didn't say where you are, but if you are around Flagstaff or Williams
look at NAPA or any of the other chain auto parts stores you may be able to
find a universal corrugated hose that will fit (You will need to bypass the
heater)  It will be  ugly but it will work until your new molded hose
catches up with you. As long as the coolant stays in the water jacket the
car doesn't care if the hose is original.

Have a great trip. Don't let a little misfortune put you off. It's part of
the adventure. If reliability was the most important thing you could have
taken the bus.

Bill Lawrence
Albuquerque, NM