[Healeys] 62bt7

John Snyder helyjohn at cablespeed.com
Tue Oct 9 13:59:01 MDT 2007

There is another solution.  The car I'm restoring now was put into storage
in 1974 without draining the fuel tank.  I drained the tank, but not only
was it impossible to suck air out the connection for the fuel pump, 80 psi
air would not go into the tank.  I carefully vented the remaining vapor
(really stunk) and used a cut-off wheel to make a square opening in the tank
around the fuel suction line and removed it.  The gauze filter that Mike
mentioned was missing, and nowhere in the tank and I have no idea what
happened to it.  .The lower portion of the suction tube was plugged so solid
I had to use a drill to clear it.  Then had a very good welding shop weld
the square back into the tank (no gauze filter).  Then installed an in-line
external filter between the tank and pump.

While the suction pipe is out of the tank, you can look at the condition of
the lining.  If it is comming off in sheets, then a new tank is the only
solution.

John Snyder