[Healeys] bellhousing/transmission/overdrive

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Oct 6 07:21:46 MDT 2007

Gary, it has been a long time since I did this and I'm going from memory
here.
BJ8s do not have the spring plate, as the BJ7s did.  Just shims.
I believe I installed the bearing into its cavity in the bellhousing as far
as it would go, and then added shims until they stood proud of the surface
of the bellhousing a few thousandsths, as measured with a straightedge
across the cavity.  The exact thickness didn't seem critical, as long as it
resulted in the shims being compressed against the outer race of the
bearing.
My recollection also is that the shims were not available from any suppliers
that I knew, and I cut them out of the thin sheet metal of a lacquer thinner
can.
I tried to do it more scientifically, measuring the difference between the
depth of the bearing cavity and the thickness of the bearing, but had
trouble measuring the cavity accurately.

Hope this helps.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry