[Healeys] VIN plate

sbyers at ec.rr.com sbyers at ec.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 12:52:41 MST 2007

I've seen a lot of replacement VIN plates with the plate itself like original, but the stamping so crudely done that it's laughable.  It's always obvious that they are replacements, and it always makes me wonder if the number is correct.  In most cases where I've been able to investigate that, it isn't.
There is BJ8 in a museum in Sweden with a replacement VIN plate that is nicely and professionally done.  However, it's not original, since it has a "-" after HBJ8L rather than the standard factory-applied "/".  Also (I have photos of this car's firewall), it has the original body number plate from a car 8,035 chassis numbers higher than what's on the VIN plate - only 115 cars from the end of production.
My recommendation would be to have any replacement plate done by a professional like Todd Clarke who knows what he is doing, otherwise it's pretty easy to tell the plate isn't original.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA