[Healeys] 1964 BJ8 Heater Box

Mark and Kathy mgtrcars at galaxyinternet.net
Thu Nov 15 17:38:23 MST 2007

I would imagine that Brit. Car Spec. would have the o-ring that fits.

I have had more than my fair share of these English type control valves leak
in my day. (MGs)  At least in the MGs the leak is confined to the engine bay
where it can  drip on to the ground (not to mention the distributor)  but in
the Healey I see no other place for it to go but into the cockpit area.
Which makes me wonder why they didn't put it on the side of the block in the
first place. The top of the heater box is a terrible place. And I hate the
smell of hot antifreeze.

   I have a brand new valve with a correct o-ring.   but its not going in my
car.   I just ran the hose directly to the the nipple stub on the radiator
where the valve should go.   I will control the water flow at the engine
shut off valve.
This makes sense to me until someone can convince me differently.  I don't
trust these valves.  And they get cheaper and cheaper in their construction.
And even when they are in the open position the damn thing barely opens
enough to let water through.   Yes I know about the Mods.  I've done a few ,
but what little I run the heater in my LBCs,  I will go without the valve
hassle.

As long as the 2 hose clamps don't go kaput it should run leak free.