[Healeys] 100 engine rebuld questions crank float bearing cap gaskets

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 12:33:31 MDT 2007

#2 The best way is to use a dial indicator on the end of the crank, and use
a largish screwdriver on a crank throw to move the crank back and forth to
its limits.
Note when measuring do not use a screwdriver suitable for prying up manhole
covers, and pull with all your might.  You can momentarily  distort a block
and get a false reading this way. I used to demo this in class, with a big
enough screwdriver I could turn 0.09mm of end float into 0.20mm  :-)  You
are just trying to move the crank, not push it out of the end of the block.
Rick