[Healeys] Wibbly Wobbly Wheels

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 15:02:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/29/07 12:24:42 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> At Marion Brantley's suggestion, I checked the tires and found that the
> left
> rear Michelin XZX was clearly egg-shaped.  It was obvious by merely turning
> the wheel by hand and sighting the tire circumference in relation to the
> fender.

Do you know how old the tires are? We've had a number of discussions over the
years of the probable life span of radial tires, with the conclusions of many
that replacing radials after ten years of life is absolutely critical, and
considering their replacement after five years of life is a good idea. I had
the
same behavior a few years ago on Pirelli P3s that I ran for way too long.
Interestingly, very quickly after they developed the shimmy the side wall
split
away from the tread right at the steel belts, on the inside -- could have been
seriously serious if I had ignored them.
Cheers
Gary