[Healeys] two Questions, one answered

Joe and Lenore Armour sebring at illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Tue Jul 31 08:17:23 MDT 2007

Rich C wrote:

>Gary,
>
>The parts for the Liege-Rome-Liege limited run cars are listed in the Parts
>List of the time. Therefore I'd think that a limited number may have been
>produced, but a customer could possibly purchase the bits over the counter
>at his BMC dealer. That muddies the waters even further.
>
>Rich Chrysler

FWIW
I have seen a letter of Quotation written by Brian or Geoff in response
to an Australian's enquiry as to modifications available to prepare a
Healey for road racing. The tone of the letter and parts offered was the
exact list of parts available as identified on the Homologation papers
of the day. Healeys were always entered as 'production' cars and were
specified to the maximum allowed by the class they were considered to be
most competetive ie. long distance and durability type events. Remember
there are TWO types of 'works' Healeys. (1) Donald Healey Motor Co.
built and owned race cars and (2) BMC / MG Competitions Department built
and owned rally cars. Regardless of their race or rally use all cars
were built from the same list of competition parts as submitted to the
F.I.A. in the form of 'homologation papers' with part numbers that
ensured these parts were available to the general public. Healey Motor
Co or John Sprinzel Motors and others would supply and fit all or some
of the parts subject to the owners requirements.
It always intrigues me as to why so many people replicate rally car
modifications for road cars.Rally cars were much heavier than any of our
cars. How do you think John Chatham built so many replica works Healeys?
Joe