[Healeys] Two Questions for the group

J. Scott Morris jstmorris at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 12:58:22 MDT 2007

Hello Ken;  My guess is that Gary is referring to the Liege-Rome-Liege Replicas provided in 1961-62.  The following is taken from:  Healeys and Austin-Healeys by Peter Browning and Les Needham.   Enjoy!!
  --Scott Morris, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada;  '60 MkI BN7,  '62 MkII BT7

  Liege-Rome-Liege Replica
  In 1961, as a result of the success of the 3000 in the 1960 Liege Rally, a Liege-Rome-Liege Replica was offered for sale to a limited number of private owners.  The specification was as follows:
  Fit balanced crankshaft / flywheel / clutch assembly, carrying out normal balancing to connecting rods, etc.  Fit polished, gas-flowed cylinder head, compression ration 9.5:1 (works heads polished and prepared by Weslake).  Fit special Servais free-flow six branch exhaust manifold.  Fit special silencer assembly with outlet just in front of rear wheels.  Fit three SU HD8 carburetters on special inlet manifold (some cars were fitted with two 2 in. HD8 carburetters and later 1962 cars were fitted with three 45 DCOE Webers).  Fit stronger valve springs and different camshaft.  Strengthen sump by welding additional sheet of metal around the front and bottom and fit recessed type sump drain plug.  Move all wiring and pipework to less vulnerable position along the sides of the chassis members
  To fit three SU (or Weber) carburetters, it will be necessary to cut away the near side pedal box to give sufficient clearance, re-welding and strengthening as necessary (this modification is not possible on LH drive cars).
  Fit cold-air scoop on to the scuttle, with suitable ducts to feed cold air to driver and passenger.  Fit A35 van-type ventilator flap to hardtop roof.  Fit 60-spoke wire wheels.
  If a Mark I, fit Mark II front coil springs with packing pieces (H7939 obtainable from Donald Healey Motor Co., Warwick).  The packing pieces increase the ground clearance and one should be fitted at the bottom and two at the top of the spring.  Fit special adjustable shock absorbers at the rear (Armstrong DAS 9) and competition setting shock absorbers at the front.  Fit a heavy-duty anti-roll bar.  Fit 14-leaf rear springs.  Fit disc brake assembly to the rear.  Fit a two-speed wiper motor and high-output generator and coil and associated equipment.  Fit special heavy-duty gearbox and 4.3:1 differential.  Fit modified boot lid to allow two spare wheels to be carried.  Fit large capacity fuel tank.  Fit air-horns, trip recorder, special speedo, etc.
  The total cost of this conversion, including labour, was some #850 on top of the price of the basic car, but the customer had a car which was virtually identical with the works cars of that time.
  Source:  Healeys and Austin-Healeys by Peter Browning and Les Needham, 2nd Ed., 1976; page221  222

  "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese at Aerojet.com> wrote: << Gary,  I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the "commemoratives". You mean BMC did some cars fitted like the team rally cars for sale to privateers? Never heard of that. I have only heard of privateers getting team hand me downs. I remember seeing Lee Collins, I
think, in Australia that had Pat Moss's actual car. I took pictures in his garage. He also had a 100S. The 3000 has been sold a couple of times since, I think. >>

Gary Anderson <Editorgary at aol.com> wrote: << I've recently bumped into two questions that perhaps someone in the group has a reference from which to answer:
l. Does anyone know how many of the commemorative Liege Healeys that were
produced after Pat Moss's win in that long-distance rally? I remember seeing
one in the metal in Australia, complete with hardtop and Liege decal on the window many years ago, and remember seeing the brochure on the car, but have never seen anything else on these cars. Details, anyone? ...... >>

J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives