[Healeys] BN6 disc wheel to wire wheel conversion

Grotenhuis 61bt7 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 17:58:27 MDT 2007

Bill,

I have a disk-wheel '61 BT7 and started the conversion but bought Panasport
alloys instead.  The rear splined hubs bolt right up to the rear drums,
which are considerably dished  on the wire-wheel cars, whereas the disk
wheel drums are not.  The studs need to be replaced with shorter ones to be
correct.

The fronts need new hubs which are part of the splined unit.

At Conclave last June, I talked to the owner of a disk wheel car that bought
special wire wheels that came with bolt-on adapters and special knock-offs,
so you can re-use everything you already have.  It was hardly noticeable,
but he pointed out that the center section of the wheel was larger than
normal diameter, and therefore had slightly shorter spokes (stronger).  I
can't remember where he said he got them, but if I had it to do over again,
I would have strongly considered this alternative.

Neal Grotenhuis
'61 BT7