[Healeys] Sprite rear axle nut torque recommendation

Awgertoo at aol.com Awgertoo at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 19:03:19 MDT 2007

My Elva Courier uses a Riley rear axle which is the same as that on a
disc-wheeled Sprite, just a few inches wider.  It has the Winner's Circle
double-bearing hub and hardened axles, a common Sprite upgrade esp. for racing.  However
the big nuts that screw on to the end of the axle housings and retain the hubs
(clockwise on the right and counter on left) are apparently stock.

>From what I have read the inner races of the hub bearings are a "locational
clearance fit" and I have seen spec's for MGA that call for 160-180 foot pounds
of torque on this nut.  Since the nut on the Sprite/Riley axle is a bit
smaller than that on an MGA perhaps this number might be a bit high, but I sure
would hate to be passed by a rear wheel at speed.

 Does anyone have a recommended torque setting for this nut?

Best--Michael Oritt