[Healeys] Toe-in

bluechip bluechipracing at snet.net
Wed Jul 25 12:47:49 MDT 2007

Hi Michael:  I have always set my own tow-in on the Healeys.  There are
several ways.

I usually use the two board method:  Wheels and tires must be true.....(Spin
them to find out).  With the car at rest on wheels on a flat floor.  If your
wheel  and tires are trueYou need two assistants.
Using straight boards (1X2), or 1" square aluminum or any rigid straightedge
about 6' long,  Your assistants hold the boards against the outside of the
tires just under the knockoffs, boards  pointing forward parallel to the
ground whilst at two points 15" apart on each board, you measure the
distance between the two boards.  The forwardmost measurement should be 1/16
shorter than the rearmost measurement.  Adjust the tie rod until this
measurement is obtained.

There are variations of this method using strings,  plumb-bobs etc.

If your wheels and tires are not true, remove the fronts, and support the
car at the splines with jack stands. at the proper ride hight.  Bounce the
front a little to settle it in, then attach the boards to the brake rotors
instead of the wheels.

The last time I did it I used a carpenter's rotating lazer level....casts a
nice red line on the floor against some pre-marked reference points.  One
man job.

Jim Smith