[Healeys] Toe-in

John H jhomonek at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 25 12:23:55 MDT 2007

Michael,

with the wheels on the ground, measure from inside sidewall to inside sidewall in front of suspension at frame level.  Then do the same behind suspension at frame level.  (I measured several times to verify the distance.) The front distance should be 1/8" less in front than rear distance.

I made a simple tool to do this:  I took an old TV antenna (rabbit ear) to expand and measure the inside distances...it was too short so I securely attached a paint paddle to it with tape so it would not move.  Now that I could reach the distance between the wheels, I place the tool in between the two wheels, first in front and then in rear, pulled it out and measured it...recording the measurement  Then, I loosened the adjustment nuts up front so I could adjust the "toe in" at 1/8" less than rear measurement. Once adjusted up front, roll the car back about 8' and then back up to original position.  This allows the wheels/tires to find their new position.  Remeasure until you reach the 1/8" less in front. Remeasure and retighten the two nuts and you are done.

Last time I did it, I took it to the alignment shop here in Atlanta and found out I was right on setting resulting in a no charge from the shop...and ended up with another Healey Special Tool!  You can recheck anytime now.

Takes about 30 minutes and saves you at least $50.00.

John Homonek
Atlanta Chapter AHCA
1959 BN7 - 1960 AN5 - 1974 Jensen Healey