[Healeys] Front wheel bearings

P.J.Aeckerlin j.aeckerlin at tiscali.nl
Tue Jul 24 10:44:22 MDT 2007

Gary,
Unfortunately I left all my technical handbooks behind when I quit
working, but I remember very well a paragraph in the Timken Bearing
Handbook where it was described in detail how one had to install a set
of Timken (= taper roller) bearings. The equipment I sold at that time
(valve actuators) were depending on the proper functioning of the main
Timken bearings and I spent a lot of time adjusting bearing play with shims.

A taper roller bearing (like our front wheel bearings) has to be fitted
with a light preload in order to ensure a long bearing life.
Theoretically no preload  and no axial play would be ideal, but as that
is very difficult (and time consuming!) to obtain a light preload is
preferred.

When you look at the complete construction of a Healey front wheel  you
will notice it is an assembly of various items which, when built
together, have to form a rigid bearing construction. All these items are
manufactured separately and therefore all these items have their own
machining tolerances. It means that, when you put the various bits
together, you can be sure that the final distance between the outer
bearing rings and the inner bearing rings is not what it should be
according to the theory. It is for that reason only that shims are used.
They are needed to compensate for the manufacturing differences of the
various components which together form the front wheel bearing assembly.
This means that, if you just take the bearings and shims out, clean them
properly and then put them back again, you can use the shims you found
during dismantling (provided the guy who did this previously knew what
he did!). It also means, however, that when you decide to renew the
bearings or any other item of the construction you  have to follow the
lines set out in the manual and (maybe) use other shims to get the best
bearing assembly - because every bearing and every component has his own
manufacturing tolerance and -limits.

In my opinion the discussion about strengthening the axle stub by pre
stressing is a no-go issue. Tapered roller bearings ALWAYS need some
kind of adjustment possibility. BMC did that with shims, nowadays
machining tolerances are much better than in the past and therefore the
use of shims has reduced in modern constructions.
Jack Aeckerlin, The Netherlands
1964 BJ8 29432