[Healeys] Front wheel bearings

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jul 23 20:17:15 MDT 2007

Smoking me out, huh?  Well, Mike, I don't think I used the term "Cods
Wallop" --that's a new one on me!.  However, anyone who has been on this
list for very long knows that some subjects just keep on comin' up and won't
die, and this is certainly one of them.

A 39-year career as a spacecraft and aircraft structural engineer, until
retiring in January (Woo Hooooooo!), including much of the last 10 years or
so (my time on the list) of contemplating that spacer has led me to conclude
that the bearing/shim/spacer/bearing/spacer arrangement in our LBC wheels
has nothing to do with strengthening the axle.  A more detailed explanation
of why can be had for the asking.  The design PURPOSE of the spacer and
shims is to remove the inherent freeplay out of the bearings with a
controlled load, a technique that is well-known among bearing engineers.
So, Mike and I both agree that it is better to have the shims and spacer
installed than to leave them out, although we reach that conclusion for
different reasons.

Mike certainly has seen more LBC axles, cracked and uncracked, than I have;
but I don't see how those cracks can be related to any reduction in axle
strength due to missing shims/spacers .  And until some kind of structured
analysis can pin the blame on the lack of a spacer anything else is
anecdotal and perhaps coincidental.

Just my educated guess......

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666