[Healeys] Non Standard Colours

Patrick and Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 22 23:14:10 MDT 2007

G'day

This BJ7 presents an interesting example of non-conformity that always sets
a task for automotive historians.

A year or so back the owner of the car asked me to put together an article
on his car for publication here is Australia. That I did with some
interesting photos, as when he bought the car the engine bay was painted in
red primer, albeit discoloured, dirty and in various other hues due to work
done over the years.

The owner had exchanged a few letters with both Geoff and Brian Healey and
while Geoff's response while friendly, wasn't of much help. However Brian's
was very helpful and I insert a paragraph from my article that may be
interesting.

"Bic was a little more forthcoming despite starting out by saying that not
only did he not have any access to the old factory records but it was also
an awfully long time ago. However he did go on to say that he recalled
selling a 3000 to a Mr. Lucas who made tools under the name of Elliott Lucas
in Staffordshire. Bic stated that the car was delivered to the DHMC in
primer and they had it painted it a very attractive dark blue to the
customer's choice. Interestingly Brian added that while the car was
delivered in primer it would have been extremely doubtful if the customer
would have been prepared to go to the expense of stripping out the engine
bay for painting in the chosen body colour."

What it really all comes down to is that while you can follow the concours
books and experts for 99.9% of the cars there are some that are quite
different. In the end you could almost have anything you wanted providing
you were prepared to fork out the $$$$$$.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

During the "normal" production situation, the car bodies were assembled for
complete body panel fit, then painted in the usual available production
colours on a paint line at Jensen Bros.

What was done at Warwick would have been a "special order" which in the big
picture did not happen very often. And, as you proved out, these occasions
were documented as such. Therefore, when we Concours judges are about to
commence judging a car, we first ask the owner if he/she can tell us
anything different or unique about this particular car. In this case, it
would be absolutely a perfect case to bring out the Heritage certificate
stating same, and it would most certainly be allowed without deduction.

An interesting thing about this car being despatched to Warwick in
"undercoat" meaning a primer only. Was the car missing the outer paint
colour in most of the inner areas? Warwick would not likely have rceived a
bare shell to finish, but probably a partially built car, therefore they
wouldn't /couldn't paint the complete inner structure which would have
already had mechanical and trim bits installed before it got there.

Automotive history and archaeology again, eh?

Rich Chrysler