[Healeys] Special colours

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Fri Jul 20 20:04:51 MDT 2007

Bob,

Very early on, especially with the Hundreds, it's been rcorded that a few
different exterior and interior combinations were tried from time to time.
They didn't seem to be advertised, just quietly released to the public. For
instance there were apparently 7 Gunmetal grey metallic cars with red trim,
all exported to the USA. There were a small handful of Black cars produced
with an off white bone coloured leather and vinyl trim, black carpets.

Throughout production, cars were specially prepared for specific races, etc.
such as the 3 dark BRG cars prepared for 1959 Sebring, later to be sold off
to individuals.

In any case, factory records should show those specific cars being finished
as such. Again, there certainly are examples to prove that statement wrong.
In the first year of BN1 production there was a non metallic version of
Healey Blue produced, resulting in a light pastel solid blue. Build records
still simply refer to it as Healey Blue or Healey Grey (still Healey Blue).

Beginning in early 1956 there was a replacement of dark blue trim with a
colour best described as a light teal colour. The build records simply state
"Trim - Blue" as they always had. This colour disappeared very early in the
100/Six.

Guessing the motive of your question, however, I would suggest not painting
and trimming your car to some non standard colours unless you either don't
care about the originality factor, or you have specific documentation that
your car was finished in a non standard colour scheme.

Rich Chrysler