[Healeys] Front wheel bearings

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:51:13 MDT 2007

Ken -

You have to shim this right because if it is shimmed & distanced too loose,
the hub will float on the axle and then you will have your brake drums/discs
rubbing against the dust plate ruining your drums or discs.  Bad idea!

You don't want it too tight either because then this will load, heat and
destroy your bearings with time.

Shim this correctly, per the manual.  It's not that difficult a process
provided you have a small selection of 3-5 shims of different thichnesses
handy, which aren't all that expensive.  Shimming the bearings properly only
adds maybe 10 to 15 minutes to the whole process, it's easy.  Don't be a
chump and ruin your perfectly good axle because you were lazy.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8