[Healeys] BN6 battery access panel - photos inside

WILLIAM B LAWRENCE ynotink at msn.com
Wed Jul 18 21:37:06 MDT 2007

Well, the "correct layout" is the dual six volt batteries, so changing to a
single twelve volt is a modification. The correct layout in that case is
whatever works the best.

I changed to a single twelve volt gel cell in my BN1 and, after replacing
the battery twice, and the battery cable once, I finally found a method to
keep it in place and away from the driveshaft.

I fabricated a new battery pan of the proper size from sheet steel and
bolted it down in the original captive nuts on the right side of the
chassis. That keeps the battery from rattling around in the space.

The hold down is an aftermarket item that I'm not very satisfied with and
I'm always looking for a way to improve it.

I fabricated my own cables from #2 AWG high voltage cable (looks like about
100 strands of very fine copper) so I made them long enough to route to the
outboard side of the battery and turned the battery so the cables don't have
to be anywhere near the driveshaft. I used extra P-clips to route the cables
so only the last few inches have any slack.

I also used several extra p-clips on the power cable to keep it from sagging
below the chassis (quite heavy and limber). Over-all I think it's an
improvement over original, but then, I don't have any desire to have it
judged.

Bill Lawrence