[Healeys] Help! ignition Guru

Dave & M rusd at sitestar.net
Fri Jul 13 17:20:48 MDT 2007

Hi Dave,

I believe I mentioned rotor clearance in a post about Pertronix,
recently. The Pert timing sleeve reduces clearance.

If you are sure that the rotor is seated all of the way down - There
are differences in rotor heights from brand to brand & maybe even
within the same brand.

Also there are variations in the cap terminal heights. Sometimes you
just have to find the best combination. Up to .020" can be sanded,
filed, ground from the lower rotor seating surface.

The end play of the shaft is a SERIOUS problem. It should be no more
that 0.002" or so. The space between the drive & the body can be &
often is shimmed to reduce the end clearance. The gear is usually
pinned to the shaft with minimum clearance,  but once the shaft is
drilled for the pin, shims are the only way to tighten the end play.
If your particular combination of parts worked recently, the shaft end
play would be the only variable.

Hopefully, you can find a combination that will allow at least 0.030"
clearance between rotor & cap.

Regards,
Dave Russell