[Healeys] Side curtain/screen

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Thu Jul 12 19:28:40 MDT 2007

Lennart,

Though it's been a number of years, I replaced the felt seal strips in the
channels, and it went very well. The sidescreen I describe is the later
version, used from mid production of the BN4 through the BN6, BN7, and BT7.
This sidescreen has a fixed forward panel, and a sliding rear panel.

First I bought some dark grey felt and cut it into strips about 3/4" wide.
Make sure the felt is thick enough to not alow the Plexiglas to be loose,
but thick enough so that the sliding panel will have moderate resistance to
sliding.

Only the channel that has the sliding panel will have felt installed in it.
I used a bit of glue such as Goodyear's Pliobond, or Walther's Goo,
carefully brushed into the bottom of the channel. Then using a piece of  old
Plexiglas as a tool, I pressed the felt into the channel in an even U shape,
burnishing the felt into place with the bit of Plexi. One piece of felt fits
into the bottom of the channel, and a second one is used across the top
channel and curving down the rear edge.

Then position the new panels in the middle of the frame and gently bow each
panel out to allow the top and bottom edges to pop into the channel. Once in
place, make sure the movable (inner) panel can slide smoothly back and
forth. The fixed  (outer) panel does not sit in felt, but when in position
has small crimps in the edge of the channel to keep it in place.

Hope this helps.

Rich Chrysler