[Healeys] Pertronix

Dave & M rusd at sitestar.net
Thu Jul 12 14:27:58 MDT 2007

Hi Price,

Make sure that you don't have a negative ground Pertronix which would
have a red wire & a black wire on the module.

A positive ground Pertronix should have a black wire & a black/white
wire on the module. It is also connected in a different manner from
the negative ground unit.

The stock  pos ground ignition would have a switched white wire
connected to coil negative or SW, & two white/black wires on the coil
positive or CB. One of these two wires goes to the points, one to the
battery cutoff switch.

To install the Pertronix, remove both white/black wires from the coil
positive or CB terminal & connect this coil terminal to a good ground.

Remove the white wire from the coil negative or SW terminal. Connect
the Pertronix black/white wire to the coil negative or SW terminal.

Splice the Pertronix black wire to the switched white wire.

Discard the original white/black wire that went from coil positive
terminal to the points. Tape the end of the other white/black wire
that went to the battery cutoff switch.

Warnings:
1- Make sure that the Pertronix magnet sleeve is firmly seated, all of
the way down, on the distributor cam or the rotor may contact the cap.
Also, some rotors may sit high enough because, of  the extra thickness
of the sleeve, that they contact the under side of the distributor
cap. This destroys the rotor. If this clearance is in doubt, sand or
grind enough off the bottom of the rotor to allow it to sit low enough
to clear the cap contacts. Or, find a lower rotor.

2- You only get one chance to connect a Pertronix properly. If the
connections are reversed the module will be damaged or destroyed. If
so, Pertronix will likely replace the module for free.

Best of luck to you,
Dave Russell