[Healeys] Engine drain tap question

Steve B. Gerow steveg at abrazosdata.com
Sat Jul 7 18:28:26 MDT 2007

My engine drain tap started leaking and I see Moss doesn't have them.

Does anyone know if this item is Whitworth threaded?

A 1/2" fine bolt goes in the block OK but seems wobbly--I'm wondering if I
can use a bolt for a plug instead of a tap--especially if I can't get a tap.
The threads are 20 per inch and not tapered, but I couldn't get a 1/2"-20
die to go on the threads.

Another reason it might be Whitworth is the hex wrench size is halfway
between 9/16 and 5/8.

Thank goodness I had a Whitworth-calibrated adjustable spanner with which to
extract it!
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA